Monday, February 24, 2014
Smith's Two Questions
In part 7, section 1, Smith states that in treating the question of morals that two questions come up. "Wherein does virtue consist?" and "By what power or faculty in the mind is it, that is character, whatever it be, is recommended to us?" It occurs to me that what he is really asking here is what is the basis of morality? For Hobbes it was staying out of the state of nature which was war, Locke also has morality as a tool to stay out of the state of nature, but for Rousseau morality stems from a sense of pity. These two questions imply that there is a universal morality, that is applicable to everyone in every situation. An example of this might follow the lines of "thou shalt not murder" or "thou shalt not steal" from Christianities 10 commandments. So what if a person steal's in order to feed their family? I find I have issues with such black and white ideas of morality, I think it miss represents a world in which every action comes in shades of grey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment