One of the building
blocks that Machiavelli discusses for building an effective form of government
in Discourses is religion. Numa Pompilius introduces religion into Rome to be a
medium to create a more domesticated citizenship. “So he turned to religion
because it is essential for the maintenance of a civilized way of life, and he
founded a religion such that for many centaury’s there was more fear of God in
Rome than there has even been anywhere else” (Pg.65). I have some confliction
about this perceived necessity of religion to create a “civilized way of life”.
I don’t believe that religion is necessary to maintain or create a civilized
society, I think that respecting everyone’s right to practice their own
independent religion is very important in a society. This passage got me
thinking about accountability and how religion can add quite a bit of
accountability when people are beyond the immediate perception of a kingdom’s
authority.
An argument can be made
that technology makes us very accountable to our government’s authority since
monitoring individual citizens does not require direct interaction between a
government’s law enforcement and that individual citizen. Machiavelli seems to
have religion as an answer as that authority that doesn’t require direct human
presence. “…you will find that the citizens of Rome were a good deal more
afraid of the consequences of breaking their oaths than of breaking the laws,
for they were more afraid of God’s power than man’s (Pg.65). So was religion
necessary to create that fear before technology could be used in a similar
manner? I would like to think that religion in government wasn’t necessary back
then and it still isn’t today. But try as I might I can’t think of another
great organizer that would keep a populace accountable even when direct government
intervention isn’t possible.
Machiavelli
also makes a few comments on human nature. “It is in man’s nature to be able to
want and to desire all things; it is in the nature of his circumstances that he
can only realize a few of his desires.” (Pg. 75). This quote to me seems to reflect
how many would define economics: deciding how to allocate resources with an infinite
amount of wants with a finite amount of resources. I personally do not believe that all people’s
wants are infinite and therefore not able to be completely satisfied. I
actually believe a lot of a person’s internal happiness is contingent on making
sure that they do not have an unlimited and unachievable amount of wants.
This
outlook is carried on in modern day economics in our assumptions about humans
and their inherent nature. This leads me to believe somewhat that it is an
affective assumption about human nature and perhaps I’m being more of an
idealistic person than a realistic person. I cannot help but wonder however if
a society was built on the premises that people would be satisfied if given enough
of their crucial wants how the paradigm of thought in such a society would
differ from our own.
No comments:
Post a Comment